Sunday, January 29, 2012

Best Comments Ever

"Thank for the wonderful description of the GGO bottles. I'm going on Amazon to buy A GGO Thing. I've been fascinated with decanters for years actually back to the Bing Crosby days when he presented his first decanter in 1970 as a tee gift to players in his tournament. I worked for the Northern California PGA from 1979-85 and one of my duties come Crosby time was to very our club pro's card to he could get into the tournament at no charge. A fellow I knew played in the tournament gave me the 1979 decanter. In our Section we had about 3/4 others that the pros gave us to spruce up our office.

A friend of mine got me started in collecting other Crosby and AT&T decanters in 1998 and I would go on Ebay and bid on them. Before too long it became an obsession with me to get as many as my friend had and I practically went where ever I could to find any decanter. Anyway long story short, I have all the Crosby, the AT&T, the GGO, the Hawaiian Open, Bob Hope, and all the singles for a total of around 85/86 bottles on my walls! I've practically had to buy houses that would be big enough for my junk.

Just recently I've decided to downsize the collection and was going to rid of everything except the Crosby and AT&T ones. I even have all the programs and have mounted the cover in a frame above the year of the decanter. My wife said that's the last straw, so I talk about these things from a closet. lol After reading your note I'm not sure about the GGO because I love each of the designs. My favorites are 1978-79, two classics. My friend who has a similar (but not as good as mine!) has that 1982 GGO bottle and always let's me know that I can't have because its the only bottle that I don't have. I can hardly wait to relate your story to him tomorrow. i even have a couple of GGO program and was going to do the same set-up as I did with the Crosby/AT&T collection.

This is and has always been fun to talk to people who have a knowledge of these bottles and what the reason they were made and who they were given to. The Crosby/AT&T decanters have always been a hot item for people in Northern California because of the history of the events. While I was the Director for the PGA I came across the distributor of Jim Beam and he told me what the process was in making and distributing the decanters. They generally made 1300 copies and then destroyed the mold. The decanters went to the players who played in the event, sponsors and a select few people associated with the event. They were in such demand that this fellow was practically bribed to get one. Sorry to carry on such as I have but this is really fun for me. Now let me get on Amazon the buy the book. Thanks again and I hope to talk to you again regarding GGO info.

John"

No comments: