Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Note from Mendy Durham

"Hi all! First let me say that I'm sorry for the impersonal way that some of you are getting this information. I have been able to call and speak with some but haven't had a chance to speak with everyone personally yet. Most of you know that I have a congenital heart defect - a problem with my aortic valve.

Over the years, the doctors have been monitoring my condition. Recently, they determined that it was time to correct the issue. So, on Feb 3rd, I will have open heart surgery to replace my aortic valve and the root of the aorta which has been damaged from the pressure created by the valve not working properly.

This surgery requires a full sternotomy (cutting open the breast bone) so I will be in the hospital for about 5-6 days and then will be at home recovering for 6-8 weeks (no driving). Hopefully, if things are going well, I will be able to return to most light activities after 6 weeks - including some work.

Full recovery is expected at 12 weeks. From what the doctor has said and what I have read, the heart part of the recovery is easy compared to the healing sternum. Please send your positive thoughts/prayers to my family and Will as they are going to have to deal with me during the recovery - and you all know what a good patient I am!! :-D I will try to send updates...

Love and Best Wishes...

Mendy"
(Mendy Durham was the 2003 Media Relations (Area 10) Leadman for the Chrysler Classic of Greensboro.)

No comments: