Monday, April 04, 2011

Letter from Gerald Joyce

"Jim,
Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to make the meeting tonight, as I am not able to leave Durham before 5:00. I appreciate that I am one of the few that live and work out of town, but it would be good to give those of us an opportunity to join in the vigorous debate that I am sure will ensue tonight. Since I am unable to join you all tonight, I am providing all with some of my thoughts.

This is a dramatic change that you and the Executive Committee are proposing. Is it the right thing to do, possibly. Is it going to honor our heritage, I am hopeful. The Jaycee organization over the years has declined in membership for many reasons and while we say we are going to help the organization that gave us so much, I for one only see a few of us paying back our chapter for what we were given. It is very evident from your quote in the paper that today’s organization is not where any of us would like it to be for membership and will not be if using the writers words “Members were culled from Greensboro's business and social elite”. Today’s young people are being challenged with different goals than we were faced with in the past and the organization all the way up the chain has not gotten that.

My point in all of this is not to bemoan the plight of the Jaycees, but to really question why you and the Executive Committee feel that taking over the organization to change it into something that does not bear any resemblance of our past? I understand that we want to get more people involved in the Golf Tournament, but to transform our group into nothing more than a booster club for one event in the Piedmont Triad? Don’t get me wrong, I support the Tournament each year working behind the scenes to ensure that sponsors and players have a great week so that they keep coming back, but if this is only to raise money to support the costs of the FOCC buyout and other debt then the intention of this change is to cull our ranks of those who are not able to help with that effort. Unless there is some other compelling reason to do this then my vote is a resounding NO. If this is another group that you want to start outside of the GCC, I wish you well and would consider to support by paying dues for that group in addition to the GCC.

Thanks for your time and sorry that I will miss the lively discussion.
Gerald Joyce

Greensboro Jaycee President, 2004"

No comments: