Saturday, August 20, 2005

2005 CCG General Chairman Justin Conrad Writes Letter to the Editor

August 07, 2005

Service organization creates opportunities

"Not your dad's service scene" http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050731/NEWSREC0101/507310310 (July 31) was an interesting but somewhat inaccurate look into the current state of some service groups historically associated with Greensboro.

Earlier this year, the Greensboro Jaycees http://www.jaycee.org/ completely rewrote their bylaws, streamlining the process by which one can become an executive officer of the club. While other civic groups are said to be "exploring ways to revamp (their) board of directors," the Jaycees proactively addressed this issue by encouraging access to some of our leadership positions.

The executive committee of the Chrysler Classic of Greensboro http://www.chryslerclassicgso.com/ , a PGA Tour event, currently features eight Jaycees (out of 11) who have been Jaycee members less than two years. In fact, Zack Matheny, listed in the article as saying the Jaycees didn't "make the cut," has actually joined the Jaycees and taken a leadership position on the Chrysler Classic executive committee. The information in your article must have been somewhat dated.

I would encourage any young person interested in becoming involved with the Chrysler Classic of Greensboro and the Greensboro Jaycees to give us a call. I think you will find plenty of outlets for leadership opportunities.

Justin Conrad
Greensboro

The writer is 2005 general chairman, Chrysler Classic of Greensboro.

This letter to the editor was copied from the following link.
http://blog.news-record.com/staff/letters/archives/2005/08/service_organiz.html

2 comments:

Gate Keeper said...

Randy,

Is it really good that people so new can step in and have such responsbility? One could say that means a lack of depth or talent inthe organization. Or you say that it meands the Jaycees recognize good people regardless of how long they have been in?

What do you think?

Still like the Blog a lot!

Randy Harris said...

Randy,

Is it really good that people so new can step in and have such responsbility? One could say that means a lack of depth or talent in the organization. Or you say that it means the Jaycees recognize good people regardless of how long they have been in?

What do you think?

Still like the Blog a lot!

First of all I'd like to thank Gate for such a thoughtful question. I'd also like to point out that I have removed a lot of the editorial comments from www.ggoblogger.blogspot.com and have placed them on www.fredhotline.blogspot.com.

The main reason for this was that I was getting a few anoymous comments claiming I was "picking" on the Greensboro Jaycees. After a little soul searching I agreed with these comments and although I never meant to hurt anyone's feelings, I did feel like I had the right to express myself.

I removed the editorial comments to keep the promise that some readers feel I made to them. Gate is one of my readers as well and I feel like I owe him an answer. With that in mind I will answer Gate's question. The following is the expressed written opinion of Randy Harris-past president of the Greensboro Jaycees and no one else.
Gate asks, "Is it really good that people so new can step in and have such responsbility?"

I think its great for the individual that is receiving the leadership opportunity. There are many new members that have come from other areas of the country and have found themselves in Greensboro. They are of course looking to meet people and to network. Having a high profile position on the Executive Committee of the Chrysler Classic of Greensboro or on the board of directors is an impressive "jump start" for some of these new folks.

One of the problems I see is that they lack any sense of history. They didn't grow up in the area and they don't really understand how important this golf tournament is to the local community. Of course it's a business and this isn't important! Or is it?

As president, I saw part of my role as guardian. It was my job to protect the tournament and the Jaycees. I worked hard to insure the financial and moral fabric of the organization. I wanted it to be strong for the next group of young leaders. I did this to say thank you to those that had come before me. Without that sense of history, without the feeling that you don't want to let people down, it's just another volunteer job. One that pays no money and has few rewards.

Gate says, "One could say that means a lack of depth or talent in the organization. Or you say that it means the Jaycees recognize good people regardless of how long they have been in?"

Without putting anyone down, the Greensboro Jaycees do lack depth. For the first time in a decade the membership has dipped below 200 people. Before we throw stones it's important to look at the B market the Jaycees are forced to recruit from. It's hard to find good people when Greensboro has so little to offer them. GREENSBORO IS LOSING YOUNG PEOPLE!

That sounds like I'm playing the blame game, but I'm not. Greensboro has improved in many ways in this regard, but it has only started to address this as a real issue in the last couple of years. (I grew up in this town. Don't tell me I'm wrong.)
Having said that, you play the hand you are dealt. I think the Jaycees are great at recognizing good people. The problem is that they have been forced to go outside their ranks to find them. Leadership development as a rule is a hard sell. It's not fun and many young people are looking for a social club. The real problem is that for many Jaycees it just too hard to convince people to join an organization that expects them to work their way up the ranks. It's easier to recruit people with the honey of fun and friends then it in to get to join for the hard, sweat of volunteerism.

So you fill your ranks with folks looking for a good time. When it comes time to put them to work it's no longer fun and they disappear. We still have work to be done, so we go outside our club to find people that have the real world stills we need to say "run a golf tournamnet". These people are not part of the group and don't see a need to become part of it. They don't have anything to learn so to speak. We came to them remember?