Saturday, January 14, 2006

Comment of the Week

"Randy:

As an avid golf history reader and hacker (24-handicap), I was curious to know what the tournament trophy name was?

I would strongly advocate that the trophy include Sam Snead's name since he won the event eight times - a dominance that no other tournament has witnessed.

BTW, my grandfather used to teach at Guilford College and the two highlights of my summers were visiting the battlefield and taking in a Hornets minor league baseball game.

Regards,

Bruce"

(I wrote back to Bruce to let him know that, in fact, the trophy is named after the Greater Greensboro Open's first and eight time champion. Snead was on hand to present it to the winner of the Greater Greensboro Chrysler Classic a number of times before his death.)

No comments: