Sunday, January 15, 2006

Let's Call It the Greater Greensboro Open

What the Hell-Let's Call It the GGO.

I've been following all the recent changes to the tournament held in Greensboro since 1938 and I've heard the news that Chrysler may not be returning as the event's title sponsor.( I would first like to thank them for the eleven great years.)

Back in September when the Jaycees announced that they would be giving up control of the tournament, I over heard one of the newly appointed foundation board members say that we should change the name of the event to the "Carolina Classic of Greensboro" and I later saw this same comment in print. At the time I thought it was silly, thinking that Chrysler would not go for it, but now I see I didn't have all the information and I guess it's possible that the tournaments leadership knew at the time Chrysler may not be returning.

Which brings me to the name of the event. It has always troubled me that the community and local media never seemed to truly embrace the changing names of the event (Greater Greensboro Open, Kmart Greater Greensboro Open Greater Greensboro Chrysler Classic and Chrysler Classic of Greensboro). Green Coaters and Old Timers lead the way when it came to not calling the event by it's current name. "I know you don't call it that, but to me it's the GGO."

So, now the tournament seems to be looking for a new name. Why not just call it the Greater Greensboro Open until the 5 to 7 million dollar sponsor rolls into town. I know it does not speak to the regional market place the way "Carolina Classic" might, but let's face facts-with two games in town-how well is that really going to work?

Just think of the smiles on the faces of the Green Coat Club when they are told that their tournament is once again called the GGO. Mayor Holliday for one has always, with apologies, called it the GGO. I feel that this would allow the tournament to come full circle and perhaps become, once again, accepted by the community.

2 comments:

Patrick Eakes said...

Right on, Randy. I have gone back to calling the tourney GGO, and it seems to fit while Chrylser waffles on sponsorship.

Anonymous said...

As soon as the mayor steps up with the money that can be gained by removing the name greensboro, it should keep the name.

by the way, he should spend less time in Much. his wife may get annoyed.