Wednesday, October 05, 2005

"Job Well Done"-A Note from Justin Conrad

"One last thank you to each and every one of the 2005 executive committee. Iam embarrassed by the amount of "good jobs" and "atta boys" I have receivedover the last two days, and I know that you folks were the ones that made itpossible. I was proud to serve with each and every one of you, and I look forward to you working with you on our next challenges.

Remember, I plan on being slaw chairman for the Ribfest!

Please remember your commitment to have a wrap up meeting the month of November. I want to go ahead and schedule our wrap up executive meeting for Monday, November 7th. Please schedule your wrap up meetings ASAP, and let Sharon know so she can try and coordinate common dates and times.

Also, some of us missed saying happy birthday to Mark "Squeaky" Brazil. Happy 56th birthday Mark!

One final tournament note: Many of you have heard me tell the story aboutthe final pairings on Sunday. With the help of David Noble, I have been trying to honor a long time family friend named Marty Sheets.

Marty and Dave go to our church, and along with Dave's wife Iris they are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Marty is a local Special Olympian. He has won gold medals in the SpecialOlympics in Golf and Weightlifting and others that I cannot recall. He also has been volunteering for the Chrysler Classic for 14 years now as a standard bearer Thursday-Sunday. This year, I told him I wanted him to honor me by being the standard bearer for the final group (this is a tradition I would love to see continued, by the way...).

Some of the golfers will speak with the volunteers for a group, but many ignore them. We must understand that these guys are in competition and are focused, especially in the final round. Marty arrived 30 minutes early for his final pairings, excited and ready to go. When KJ arrived at the teebox, not only did he introduce himself to Marty, but he remained and spoke to him for several moments.

In the last several groups I had not witnessed anything like this. Here was a guy that was tied for the lead of our tournament, in the final pairing of the final round, who found time for this small act of kindness that meant so much. Marty was beaming. My wife (who up to that point had said nothing about any competitor or the tournament) looked at me and said,"I know who I want to win."

I leaned over to Dad at that point and said, "Man, that was nice." Dad's response was "No, that was class."

Dad's words have sunk in since the end of the tournament. Over the last few days I have had the opportunity to reflect on both this year and the week of the tournament, and I could not be prouder of either. You see, you guys deserved a champion who was as classy and honorable as you were. You got one. If you believe in Karma or fate, KJ was rewarded for his small act of kindness, as you too were rewarded with a fantastic week, a fantastic champion, and a job well done. Sorry about the length, and again, well done."

Justin Conrad
2005 Chrysler Classic of Greensboro
General Chairman

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great story. Justin told me this Sunday PM. Echoes what Brazil said about one of the nicest guys on tour.

W.M.